TTS Services: WLAN (Wireless Local Area Network)
What is a Wireless LAN (WLAN)?
WLAN is a type of Local Area Network (LAN) that uses high frequency radio waves rather than wires to communicate and transmit data among nodes. It is a flexible data communication system implemented as an extension to or an alternative for a wired LAN within a building or campus.
What are the benefits of using a WLAN instead of a wired network connection?
Is the installation and administration of a WLAN difficult?
- Increased Productivity - by providing unwired, campus-wide network and Internet access.
- Roaming freedom while staying connected.
- Fast and Simple Network Set-up without the need for wires or cables.
- Installation Flexibility - WLANs can be installed in places where wires can't, and they facilitate temporary set-up and relocation.
- Reduced Cost-of-Ownership - Wireless LANS reduce installation costs because there is no cabling; and cheaper wireless equipment over 50% cheaper than wired network as a result, savings are greatest in frequently changing environments.
- Scalability Network expansion and reconfiguration is uncomplicated, and users can be added to the network simply by installing a wireless LAN adapter to the client device.
- Interoperability - Customers can rest assured that other brands of compatible client and network-sided products will work with superior TTS solutions.
No. A wireless LAN is simpler to install than a wired LAN, and the administration of the two network types is very similar. The client-side WLAN solution offers Plug-and-Play simplicity to connect to the network or other computers (peer-to-peer).
Is WLAN secure?
Yes, WLANs are highly secure, and TTS will guarantee your network's high security level using the various wireless such as: Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS) technology and Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP).
Who should have a wireless network?
If you're a small business or an enterprise with large number of employees and need mobility or in constant state of expansion and use desktop computers and/or laptops, then WLAN is the solution for you. Note that you can also connect your printers to the network as well.
You can even use WLAN in your home to share the connection with other members of your family and to freely move around with your laptop.
If I already have a wired network, can I add a wireless network?
Yes, we encourage you to expand your wired network with a WLAN. It will save you money while making traffic on your network faster and more efficient.
How many users can a WLAN system support?
The number of users is virtually unlimited. Users can be expanded simply by adding network access points in various locations of the building. It also allows roaming throughout the building or across the campus.
Is WLAN technology only for notebook computers?
No. While WLAN systems are ideal for networking mobile computers they are equally useful for connecting desktop computers and a variety of emerging mobile platforms. WLAN solutions are designed to eliminate cables to networked devices thereby eliminating cabling costs and increasing connection flexibility and mobility.
TTS provides you with site survey and the installation of a secured wireless network and the support that you may need. TTS also works with top of the line products such as Cisco, Linksys, Xircom and Microsoft products. And TTS will help you choose the right products to meet your need and budget. Give TTS a call today!